Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Obsession: Conversation Pits

This is no recent obsession for me. Perhaps it's a result of my 1970's Northern California upbringing, but I have long been obsessed with conversation pits. It's an inevitability that someday I will have one of my own. Until then, I'm known to scour the web searching for yet another photo of one...

A few of my favorites...

Love the gold, the pink, and the white shag carpet contrasted with the trees you see through the windows

Terminal at JFK Airport. I remember passing through this terminal on my way to Europe as a child. I'm sure this just fueled my fascination with conversation pits

So retro, yet still chic and modern. Love that flue over the fireplace. And the color blocking!

This just epitomizes Northern California in the late sixties-early seventies. 

Like being in a tree house over Manhattan. Luscious throw pillows, and "wall to wall" cushions make for some serious lounging.

Love the shape of this one, and the table in the center to hold your cocktail.

A much more contemporary take on the conversation pit. More structured with a craftsman feel to it.

Conversation pit/Media Center in a house in Japan


How would you like to spend a summer evening here? Perfect for entertaining!


The Edersheim Apartment by Paul Rudolph 1970

I saved my very favorite for last. This is the Miller House in Columbus, Indiana. The house is a collaboration between Eero Saarinen and Alexander Girard. Stay tuned for an upcoming blog post on this house. Truly amazing and trendsetting for it's time!
all images via

No comments:

Post a Comment